As colder weather begins to set in around the MOV, grants are still available to homeowners with specific home repairs that eliminate immediate health and safety concerns to its occupants. The City of Parkersburg is pleased to offer the Emergency Home Repair program. This program is made possible by the federal Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) program.
Eligible repairs include;
- Faulty roof: Serious roof problems due to wind, tree damage, fire, that threatens the intimidate safety or health of the residents.
- Heating system in winter: (October 1st to May 15th) A homeowners heating system breaks down and requires repair.
- Air conditioning in summer: (May 16th to September 30th) with a written letter from a licensed physician.
- Electrical problem: An inadequate electrical problem that creates either a fire or safety hazard.
- Plumbing problems: The plumbing system in the home needs immediate repair to avoid serious water damage to the structure, or a water utility must be replaced on the home in order to maintain a clean, safe source of water.
The single-family home must located within the corporate limits of Parkersburg, and be owner-occupied (no rentals or land contracts). Eligible homeowners must also be at or below 60% of the area median income ($32,100 for a household of 4). All household income will verified before a project can begin. During the time the Development Department is determining eligibility, a Housing Inspector will assess the issues, determine if repairs are eligible and start addressing the repair procedures according to the situation. All determinations of eligibility are left to the discretion of the Housing Inspector.
Participants will not be required to repay any portion of the grant.
If you have any questions about the program, please contact the City of Parkersburg Development Department:
The City of Parkersburg
One Government Square / PO Box 1627
Parkersburg, WV 26102
Phone: (304) 424-8519
Fax: (304) 424-8464