The City of Parkersburg is pleased to offer the Emergency Home Repair program. This program is made possible by the federal Community Development Block Grant Program. Grants are available to homeowners with specific home repairs that eliminate immediate health and safety concerns to its occupants.
Eligible repairs include;
- Faulty roofs: Serious roof problems due to wind, tree damage, fire, that threatens the safety or health of the residents.
- Heating system in winter: (October 1st to May 15th) A homeowners heating system breaks down and requires repair
- Air conditioning in summer: (May 16th to September 30th) with a written letter from a licensed physician
- Electrical problem: An inadequate electrical problem that creates either a fire or safety hazard
- Plumbing problems: The plumbing system in the home needs immediate repair to avoid serious water damage to the structure, or a water utility must be replaced on the home in order to maintain a clean, safe source of water
The unit must be a single-family home located within the city limits of Parkersburg, and be owner occupied. Eligible participants must be at or below 60% of the area median income ($32,640 for a household of 4). Income must be verified before a project is started. During the time the Development Department is determining income eligibility, the Housing Inspector will assess damages, determine if repairs are eligible and start addressing the repair procedures according to the situation. All determinations of eligibility are left to the discretion of the Housing Inspector.
Participants will not be required to repay any portion of the grant.
If you have any questions about the program, please contact the City of Parkersburg Development Department:
One Government Square
P.O. Box 1627
Parkersburg WV 26102
Phone (304) 424-8452
Fax (304) 424-8464