POSITION AVAILABLE ANNOUNCEMENT
CITY OF PARKERSBURG
DEPARTMENT: Personnel/Legal GRADE: H-8 Non-Exempt $14.61/hr
Reports directly to the Personnel Director and the City Attorney.
JOB SUMMARY: Performs responsible, specialized and confidential administrative tasks under the general direction of Personnel Director and the City Attorney.
RESPONSIBILITIES, DUTIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES:
- Prepares legal documents for the City Attorney and Assistant City Attorney.
- Prepares pleadings and maintains files on all court proceedings.
- Prepares and maintains all documents for foreclosure, eminent domain proceedings, demolition liens and extensions, annexations, and all other court related matters.
- Maintains attorney files.
- Maintains calendar for attorney court hearings, meetings, etc.
- Payroll Processing / Leave Tracking:
- Reviews bi-weekly payroll for accuracy against pay policies, makes corrections when needed, and approves for payment.
- Enters all pay increases into the payroll system.
- Monitors and maintains records for sick leave hours.
- Maintains sick/vacation/compensatory/holiday time leave records for all employees.
- Tracks and enters annual vacation accruals for Police & Fire.
- Processes shift changes in the system.
- Processes employment/income verification requests.
- Maintains all employment applications.
- Assists in the orientation / on boarding of new employees.
- Assists in the maintenance of employee files.
- Serves as Secretary for Building Commission meetings.
- Police & Fire Pension Fund administration:
- Attends meetings, prepares minutes and maintains files for the Board of Trustees of the Policeman and Fireman Pension Fund.
- Provides initial disability pension applications.
- Serves as first contact with the public and utilizes independent judgement in dealing with sensitive matters.
- Answers and responds to inquiries on a multi-line telephone.
- Assists in the preparation of annual benefit forms.
- Prepares inactive personnel files and archives by scanning.
- Performs administrative duties for the Mayor’s Office in the absence of the Mayor’s Executive Assistant.
- Prepares routing correspondence and internal memos.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
POSITION REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
High school diploma or GED with experience in paralegal and/or administrative activities; or two (2) years’ combination of experience and training. Above average computer skills. Excellent oral and written communication skills. Must be able to maintain confidentiality. Must be able to work with only general direction. Must be able to establish and maintain effective work relationships with other employees, officials, and the general public.
THE CITY OF PARKERSBURG IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE ON THE BASIS OF RACE, COLOR, NATIONAL ORIGIN, SEX, SEXUAL ORIENTATION, GENDER IDENTITY, MILITARY VETERAN STATUS, RELIGION, AGE OR DISABILITY IN EMPLOYMENT OR THE PROVISION OF SERVICES.