POSITION AVAILABLE ANNOUNCEMENT
CITY OF PARKERSBURG
Public Works Office Assistant (Parks & Floodwall)
DEPARTMENT: Public Works DIVISION: Parks and Recreation & Floodwall GRADE: H-7 Non-Exempt $13.55/hr
Reports directly to the Buildings & Grounds/Floodwall Supervisor and the Public Works Director.
JOB SUMMARY: Performs work in the area of office administration for the Parks & Recreation and Floodwall Departments.
RESPONSIBILITIES, DUTIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES:
• Composes, types and maintains letters, memoranda, and reports on behalf of supervisors, foreman and other department personnel.
• Schedules parks facilities for public use. Takes deposits & rental fees. Prepares / makes deposits.
• Maintains calendars and schedules of meetings and events.
• Maintains records and prepares reports to tracking job expenditures and account balances.
• Completes requisitions for all purchases and, after approved by appropriate supervisor, forwards to Department Head for approval.
• Processes Pool Passes for the swimming pools / waterslide – establishes eligibility for free passes, issues passes, collects fees, prepares / makes deposits, etc.
• Answers phones & greets public in-person. Routes complaints and/or requests for information. Resolves action requests of visitors or persons calling on the telephone when possible and refers other action requests to the supervisors, department head or other personnel for follow-up action.
• Opens and routes mail.
• Answers routine correspondence not needing management attention and refers more complex or sensitive issues to the supervisors, department head or other personnel.
• Collects and assembles data and background materials for a variety of reports and special projects.
• Establishes and maintains records & spreadsheets for work activities and inventory control.
• Organizes and maintains files/records for the office and verifies status on pending matters.
• Does payroll time entry for departments.
• Calls for materials delivery.
• Obtain quotes for materials / supplies, when needed.
• May work with confidential information.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
POSITION REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
High school diploma or GED supplemented by courses from a community and/or technical college in the field of office administration or related area; or two (2) years’ combination of experience and training.
Above average computer & data entry skills (Microsoft Word & Excel). Excellent oral and written communication skills. Must be able to maintain confidentiality. Must be able to interact professionally with the public.
Applications are available:
and in the Personnel Department, 5th Floor, Municipal Building, One Government Square.
Completed applications should be mailed to:
City of Parkersburg
PO Box 1627
Parkersburg, WV 26102
or returned to the Personnel Department on the 5th Floor of the Municipal Building.
THE CITY OF PARKERSBURG IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE ON THE BASIS OF RACE, COLOR, NATIONAL ORIGIN, SEX, SEXUAL ORIENTATION, GENDER IDENTITY, MILITARY VETERAN STATUS, RELIGION, AGE OR DISABILITY IN EMPLOYMENT OR THE PROVISION OF SERVICES. 2019.03
Applications are also available at:
City of Parkersburg
One Government Square
Parkersburg, WV 26101
Completed applications should be returned to the address above.
The City of Parkersburg is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age or disability in employment.