The Downtown Parkersburg Façade Rehabilitation Loan Program (the Program) is designed to encourage the restoration and repair of commercial structures in the Central Business District, with the intent of spurring economic development. Under the terms of the Program, the city can finance 50 % of the total costs of exterior and structural repairs involved in a rehabilitation project with a maximum loan of $20,000.
1. Structure must be in Central Business District, as outlined in the City of Parkersburg Codified Ordinances at Article 1350.02.
2. Structure must be commercial in use.
3. The applicant must own the structure.
4. The applicant must match grant amount in a $1 to $1 match, maximum grant of $20,000.
5. Façade improvements must also be approved by the City of Parkersburg Façade Committee and the WV State Historic Preservation Office.
6. Program participants will be required to adhere to all applicable federal, state and local regulations, City Zoning and Building Code requirements.
The City will loan up to 50% of the costs of the rehabilitation, with a maximum loan amount of $20,000. The City will place a lien against the property for the amount of the loan. Loans are zero-interest, deferred and forgivable. The loan will be forgiven if the building remains under the same ownership and repairs are maintained during a period of five years.
ELIGIBLE REHABILITATION ITEMS
The following items are permitted under this program:
1. Rehabilitation, reconstruction, or restoration of the exterior, street-side of a participating building’s façade, including structural components that are integral to the façade.
2. Glass, windows, door, lintels, trim and accessories that are a part of the street-side façade.
3. Signage, lighting, grill work, awnings and similar exterior work to the façade.
4. Roof covering, restoration, rehabilitation and major repairs designed to extend the useful life of the building for at least seven more years.
5. Cleaning of the structure’s exterior.
6. Restoration of cornices, caps, parapet walls and storm water drainage systems, including gutters and downspouts.
7. Provisions related to the facade that enable the building’s street floor to be accessible to the handicapped and the elderly without detracting from the building’s appearance.
For detailed information, please download an application and the program guidelines here. If you have questions or would like more information, please contact the Development Department at 304.424.8519. Loans are available on a first-come, first-served basis.