The City of Parkesburg Board of Zoning Appeals is a quasi-judicial body charged with evaluating zoning variances and conditional uses. The Board shall have the power to hear and decide on appeals wherein a variance to the terms of the zoning code is proposed. The Board of Zoning Appeals shall be permitted to approve, approve with conditions or deny a request for a variance.
Each request for a variance shall be consistent with the following criteria:
1. Limitations on the use of the property due to physical, topographical and geologic features;
2. The granting of a variance will not grant any special privilege to the property owner;
3. The applicant can demonstrate that without a variance there can be no reasonable use of the property;
4. Granting of the variance is not based solely on economic reasons;
5. The necessity for the variance was not created by the property owner;
6. The variance requested is the minimum variance necessary to allow reasonable use of the property;
7. Granting of the variance will not be injurious to the public health, safety or welfare; and
8. The property subject to the variance request possesses one or more unique characteristics generally not applicable to similarly situated properties.
The Board of Zoning Appeals shall not grant a variance to allow the establishment of a use in a zoning district when such use is prohibited by the provisions of this code.
BZA Meeting Schedule
The Board of Zoning Appeals meets monthly on the third Wednesday of the month at 6:30pm. The deadline for applications submitted for review by the BZA, shall be 12:00pm approximately 35 days PRIOR to the BZA meeting date.
BZA Application Fee
A fee in the amount of $50.00 (Fifty-dollars) shall be charged for each application submitted to the Board of Zoning Appeals.
*Source: City of Parkersburg Ordinance 1329.