POSITION AVAILABLE ANNOUNCEMENT
CITY OF PARKERSBURG
ACCOUNTS RECEIVABLE ANALYST (Finance)
DEPARTMENT: Finance GRADE: H-8 Non-Exempt
Reports directly to the Assistant Finance Director.
JOB SUMMARY: This position is responsible for customer service on fee billing and payments, as well as the accumulation of information and preparation of collection documentation. Additionally, this position acts as the first point of contact for all customer, internal and external, on behalf of the Finance department.
RESPONSIBILITIES, DUTIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES:
- Sort mailed payments, reconcile remittances, and prepare payments for posting on account. Review returned mail notifications, research and update forwarding addresses to maintain accurate and reliable records.
- Greet customers, receive and post payments on account at the window or by phone. Assist customers with questions regarding fee billings, payments, and account history.
- Prepare check payments for remote deposit capture on a daily basis.
- Perform end-of-day cash drawer balancing to payment registers & resolve any discrepancies noted.
- Notify supervisor of payment and posting discrepancies and assist in determining the proper resolution to issues.
- Counsel customers and present payment options to avoid official collection action.
- Forward necessary account adjustments with documentation to supervisor for review and posting to accounts.
- Perform weekly reconciliations of outstanding A/R to the general ledger, resolve any discrepancies and obtain supervisor approval.
- Monitor estate notices for deceased accountholders and prepare and file estate claims as necessary.
- Run aged and delinquency reports to identify accounts for collection proceedings.
- Initiate collection process for delinquent accounts:
- Research and confirm billing and payment history accuracy for legal action documentation.
- Prepare delinquency notification packet for distribution to accountholders and answer any questions that arise.
- Prepare legal notification documents of eminent collection proceedings and answer any questions that arise.
- Prepare suit notification for supervisor review and approval prior to distribution to relevant parties.
- Distribute all City mail in the mail room.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
POSITION REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
High school diploma or equivalent. Accounts receivables and/or collections experience preferred.
Above average computer skills (Microsoft Office – Work & Excel). Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both oral and written. Above average organizational skills. Must be able to work well independently and as a team member. Must be able to maintain confidentiality. Must be able to interact professionally with the public.
THE CITY OF PARKERSBURG IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE ON THE BASIS OF RACE, COLOR, NATIONAL ORIGIN, SEX, SEXUAL ORIENTATION, GENDER IDENTITY, MILITARY VETERAN STATUS, RELIGION, AGE OR DISABILITY IN EMPLOYMENT OR THE PROVISION OF SERVICES.