POSITION AVAILABLE ANNOUNCEMENT
CITY OF PARKERSBURG
Medium Equipment Operator
DEPARTMENT: Public Works DIVISON: Streets GRADE: H-7A Non-Exempt
$29,286 – $42,172
Reports directly to the Street Superintendent.
JOB SUMMARY: Performs a variety of semi-skilled maintenance and work in the upkeep and repair of City streets, alleys, storm sewers, etc.
RESPONSIBILITIES, DUTIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES:
- Transport heavy equipment by truck and trailer.
- Haul materials (gravel, dirt, etc.) as needed.
- Performs concrete work (sidewalks, streets, curbs, etc.): removal of old concrete, preparation of site, set forms and lay & finish concrete.
- Lay pipe (storm water, gas, etc.): removal of old pipe, preparation of site, lay pipe, replace/ finish site.
- Performs asphalt work (streets, alleys, etc.): removal of old asphalt; preparation of site; lay asphalt (haul, shovel, and rake); run pavement rollers, read and set-up grades.
- Operate Vacuum truck cleaning storm sewers.
- Operates snow removal equipment to remove snow from City streets, parks and parking lots, and salts areas as needed. Shovels snow when needed.
- Operates a variety of equipment, including various forms of trucks, dump trucks, trailers, tractors, trenchers, small backhoe, standard shift vehicles and equipment, chain saws, power tools and hand tools in a safe and effective manner.
- Performs pre-operation, routine inspection, and preventive maintenance of equipment, checking fluid levels, fuel level, oil level, tire air pressure, motor belts, and general condition of automotive equipment. Refers needed repairs to supervisor.
- Maintains equipment in a clean and orderly manner.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
POSITION REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
Possession of a high school diploma or GED. Basic experience operating medium to heavy equipment, or equivalent combination of experience and training.
Possession of a valid Commercial Driver’s License. (Class A)
This position requires extensive walking, lifting, reaching, carrying, stooping, bending, squatting, climbing, balancing, and physical coordination, while performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to fumes, dust, odors, and extreme weather conditions.
THE CITY OF PARKERSBURG IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE ON THE BASIS OF RACE, COLOR, NATIONAL ORIGIN, SEX, SEXUAL ORIENTATION, GENDER IDENTITY, MILITARY VETERAN STATUS, RELIGION, AGE OR DISABILITY IN EMPLOYMENT OR THE PROVISION OF SERVICES.