POSITION AVAILABLE ANNOUNCEMENT
CITY OF PARKERSBURG
DEPARTMENT: Public Works DIVISION: Engineering GRADE: H-12 Non-Exempt
$36,504 – $52,566
Reports directly to the City Engineer.
JOB SUMMARY: Responsible for assisting in the development and completion of specified public works project(s) by providing technical assistance in infrastructure improvement, construction, mapmaking, and technical drawings; inspection infrastructure projects; and approval excavation permits.
RESPONSIBILITIES, DUTIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES:
- Develop and organize in-house infrastructure improvement projects and direct such projects through other division heads.
- Prepare engineering plans, specification, & estimate for infrastructure improvement projects.
- Perform routine investigation of municipal infrastructure problems.
- Research publications and other sources to develop revised design and construction methods for municipal infrastructure improvement projects.
- Revise official city maps as necessary.
- On-site work inspection to assure adherence to specifications in contracts and plans for construction and installation improvements (roads, sidewalks, storm sewers) by working with contractors and city personnel. (Shared duty with Assistant City Engineer)
- Administer the issuance of permits for excavation work within municipal rights-of-way.
- Assign and maintain all street addresses of city residences and businesses.
- Maintain a variety of records and prepare a variety of reports.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
POSITION REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
Associates Degree in civil engineering or related field, supplemented by relevant continuing education; experience and/or education in applicable civil engineering operations, preferably in a local government environment; or an equivalent combination of education, experience, and training.
AutoCAD & GIS or map making skills required. Must have a valid driver’s license.
Excellent computer skills (Microsoft Office – Word, Excel, PowerPoint). Above average oral and written communication skills. Requires the exercise of considerable discretion and independent judgment. Proficiency in organizing, prioritizing and multi-tasking. Experience dealing with the public preferred.
THE CITY OF PARKERSBURG IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE ON THE BASIS OF RACE, COLOR, NATIONAL ORIGIN, SEX, SEXUAL ORIENTATION, GENDER IDENTITY, MILITARY VETERAN STATUS, RELIGION, AGE OR DISABILITY IN EMPLOYMENT OR THE PROVISION OF SERVICES.