POSITION AVAILABLE ANNOUNCEMENT
CITY OF PARKERSBURG
Assistant City Engineer
DEPARTMENT: Public Works DIVISION: Engineering GRADE: S-7 Exempt
$58,064 – $83,612
Reports Directly to the City Engineer.
JOB SUMMARY: Performs sub-professional engineering work in connection with the design, investigation, development, maintenance or construction of engineering projects.
RESPONSIBILITIES, DUTIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES:
- Perform a variety of office oriented sub-professional engineering functions, including researching and preparing preliminary and final design drawings for public works projects throughout the City.
- Maintain records of projects and writes status reports.
- Responsible for producing finished construction drawings in every detail.
- Prepare preliminary specifications.
- Record progress of the project from bidding process through completion of the project.
- Inspect projects for compliance with specifications.
- Perform problem and complaint resolution.
- Write project estimates and field inspections for approval.
- Research and prepare specifications for the purchase of Public Works equipment.
- Research property and deed descriptions.
- Assist with the preparation of pre-bid construction estimates.
- Check contractor applications for payment before approving disbursements.
- Make a variety of measurements and calculations to facilitate determining the amount of payment contractors should receive for work completed and materials used.
- Supervise engineering assistants as required.
- Provide technical advice and assistance to other city units.
- Participate in review of the Memorial Bridge annual inspection report and coordinate any repairs as required.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
POSITION REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
Bachelor of Science degree in Civil Engineering; 3 (three) years engineering experience preferred; familiarity with computerized contract management, AutoCAD, and GIS training; or an equivalent combination of education, experience and training. Must have an Engineering Intern Certification. Must have a valid driver’s license.
Excellent computer skills (Microsoft Office – Word, Excel, PowerPoint). Above average oral and written communication skills. Requires the exercise of considerable discretion and independent judgment. Ability to maintain confidentiality and use discretion in dealing with sensitive information. Proficiency in organizing, prioritizing and multi-tasking. Must be able to interact professionally with the public.
THE CITY OF PARKERSBURG IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE ON THE BASIS OF RACE, COLOR, NATIONAL ORIGIN, SEX, SEXUAL ORIENTATION, GENDER IDENTITY, MILITARY VETERAN STATUS, RELIGION, AGE OR DISABILITY IN EMPLOYMENT OR THE PROVISION OF SERVICES.