POSITION AVAILABLE ANNOUNCEMENT
CITY OF PARKERSBURG
Caretaker-Parks (N & W)
DEPARTMENT: Public Works DIVISION: Parks GRADE: H-6 Non-Exempt $27,102-$39,027
Reports directly to the Parks and Floodwall Supervisor.
JOB SUMMARY: Performs manual, semi-skilled labor to maintain the cleanliness and appearance of the City’s park facilities.
RESPONSIBILITIES, DUTIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES:
- Maintains and repairs facilities and grounds in relation to area of assignment.
- Maintains City property and grounds:
- Mows grass and cuts weeds in City Parks.
- Trims and removes trees and shrubbery.
- Applies herbicides, fungicides and pesticides.
- Runs trash truck through Parks.
- Removes debris and litter from parks and park facilities.
- Sweeps and clears walkways and sidewalks of dirt and snow.
- Performs custodial services for City buildings (bathrooms, shelters, pavilion, etc.) in City Parks.
- Does minor repair work to secure a problem for completion by dayshift.
- Performs set-up and tear-down for certain events held in City parks (placement of fencing, waste receptacles, etc.). Gives assistance to events for issues that are the City’s responsibility.
- Closes and secures all City parks at night.
- Opens and closes facilities for scheduled events on weekends.
- Operates snow removal equipment to remove snow from City streets, parks and parking lots, and salts areas as needed. Shovels snow when needed.
- Responds to after-hours calls from Police Department for accident clean up, signage, evidence transport, etc.
- Assists with Floodwall maintenance and gate installation, when needed.
- Operates a variety of equipment, including various forms of trucks, mowers, tractors, weed-eaters, standard shift vehicles and equipment, power tools and hand tools in a safe and effective manner.
- Performs routine inspection and preventative maintenance on department equipment and refers needed repairs to supervisor.
- Maintains equipment in a clean and orderly manner.
- Performs maintenance and repair work on lawn care and hand tool equipment.
- May also be required to assist in floodgate closures and placing pump stations in operation on the Floodwall.
- Performs other related work as assigned.
POSITION REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
Possession of a high school diploma or GED, or an equivalent combination of experience and training. Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) Class B is preferred.
Possession of a valid Driver’s License.
This position requires extensive walking, lifting, reaching, carrying, stooping, bending, squatting, climbing, balancing, and physical coordination, While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to fumes, dust, odors and extreme weather conditions.
SHIFT: Afternoons & Weekends – 2-Week Schedule:
Week 1 – Monday & Tuesday 3pm – 11pm / Wednesday & Thursday off / Friday – Sunday 7am – 3:30pm
Week 2 – Monday & Tuesday off / Wednesday – Sunday 3pm – 11pm
THE CITY OF PARKERSBURG IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE ON THE BASIS OF RACE, COLOR, NATIONAL ORIGIN, SEX, SEXUAL ORIENTATION, GENDER IDENTITY, MILITARY VETERAN STATUS, RELIGION, AGE OR DISABILITY IN EMPLOYMENT OR THE PROVISION OF SERVICES.