POSITION TITLE: Child Abuse and Exploitation Investigation Specialist GRADE: H-12 Non-Exempt
DEPARTMENT: Police $36,504.00 – $52,565.76
Reports directly to the Detective Bureau Commander or their designee.
JOB SUMMARY: This position will initiate, conduct, and assist with investigations pertaining to child exploitation or child abuse. The Investigation Specialist will work with Detectives from the Parkersburg Police Department and other agencies for the purpose of completing investigations that will result in the successful prosecution of offenders within the realm of child-based crimes. The functions listed below are those that represent the majority of the time spent working in this position. Management may assign additional functions related to the scope of this work as necessary.
RESPONSIBILITIES, DUTIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES: Under the direction of the Parkersburg Police Department, The Child Abuse and Exploitation Investigation Specialist will initiate, conduct, and assist with investigations pertaining to crimes in which a child is exploited or abused.
- Conduct interviews with victims, suspects, or witnesses which pertain to the above listed types of crimes.
- Complete detailed case reports regarding their investigations which accurately reflect the circumstances of each case.
- Forensically analyze digital evidence
- Properly collect and preserve all evidence pertaining to investigations
- Work with outside law enforcement agencies as well as various entities who assist in the investigation of child exploitation or abuse.
- Provide testimony in court
- Gather, organize, analyze, examine, and evaluate information and evidence to assist with the successful prosecution of criminal offenders.
- Provide information, guidance, or assistance to sworn personnel that directly facilitates task accomplishments.
- Work with the Wood County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office to ensure efficient adjudication of criminal proceedings involving their investigations.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
POSITION REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
20 years law enforcement experience (retired in good standing) preferred
Supervision or Command level experience preferred
Minimum of 5 years criminal investigation experience
Proficient computer skills
Knowledge in the operation of data extraction from electronic utilizing devices such as GrayKey, Cellebrite, etc. preferred
Criminal case preparation experience
Courtroom testimony experience
Excellent organizational skills
Must be able to pass criminal background check.
Free of Gigilo or Brady issues or any circumstance that may lead to the impeachment of testimony or any other circumstance that would compromise the integrity of the Parkersburg Police Department.