POSITION AVAILABLE ANNOUNCEMENT
CITY OF PARKERSBURG
DEPARTMENT: Public Works DIVISION: Central Garage GRADE: H-6 Non-Exempt
$27,102 – $39,027
Reports directly to the Automotive Services Supervisor.
JOB SUMMARY: Performs semi-skilled and skilled mechanical duties in the maintenance and repair of City owned vehicles and equipment.
RESPONSIBILITIES, DUTIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES:
- Service all City owned equipment (diesel/gas), changing oil, adding various fluids as needed, replacing various filters, replacing windshield wipers, replacing light bulbs, lubricating as required, etc.
- Perform minor repairs on City owned equipment (brake systems, fuel and hydraulic lines, electrical wiring, etc.).
- Perform major repair operations (transmissions, rear ends, axles and brakes, etc.).
- Rebuild packers (replacing floors and hopper bottoms, replacing or rebuilding hydraulic cylinders and packer panels, etc.).
- Perform preventive maintenance checks and diagnosis.
- Perform state inspections.
- Perform winterizing and pre-maintenance on engines and equipment.
- Make occasional field road calls, repairing equipment when possible.
- Road tests equipment to assess problems.
- Perform welding on equipment.
- Prepare equipment for painting and perform minor equipment painting.
- Repair and maintain shop equipment.
- Perform pre-operation inspection of equipment, checking fluid levels, oil level, tire air pressure, motor belts, and general condition of automotive equipment.
- Perform routine inspection and preventative maintenance on all City owned equipment and refer needed repairs to supervisor.
- Maintain equipment in a clean and orderly manner.
- Complete work orders after each task assignment.
- Order and pick up parts and supplies from vendors as needed.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
POSITION REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
Graduation from high school or equivalent, experience in automotive service work, supplemented by formal and/or informal training in the safe and effective maintenance and repair of automotive equipment; or an equivalent combination of experience and training. Diesel mechanic experience and Class B CDL preferred.
Possession of a valid Driver’s License.
Possession of a West Virginia State Inspector’s license.
This position requires walking; lifting, reaching, carrying; stooping, bending, squatting; climbing, balancing, and physical coordination. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to fumes, dust or odors, moving mechanical parts and vibration. The employee is also exposed to a variety of extreme weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment can be loud.
THE CITY OF PARKERSBURG IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE ON THE BASIS OF RACE, COLOR, NATIONAL ORIGIN, SEX, SEXUAL ORIENTATION, GENDER IDENTITY, MILITARY VETERAN STATUS, RELIGION, AGE OR DISABILITY IN EMPLOYMENT OR THE PROVISION OF SERVICES.