POSITION AVAILABLE ANNOUNCEMENT
CITY OF PARKERSBURG
Heavy Equipment Operator
DEPARTMENT: Public Works DIVISION: Street Department GRADE: H-8 Non-Exempt
$30,388 – $43,758
Reports directly to the foreman or supervisor of the Street Department.
JOB SUMMARY: Performs a variety of semi-skilled and skilled maintenance work and operates the largest and most complex equipment in the City’s fleet in the construction, maintenance, and replacement-related tasks in the Public Works Department.
RESPONSIBILITIES, DUTIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES:
- Performs pre-operation inspection of heavy equipment assigned, checking logically all basic aspects of the equipment;
- Maintains equipment in a clean and orderly manner;
- Performs minor maintenance and repair work on heavy equipment as aid to operation;
- Performs concrete work (sidewalk, streets, curbs, etc.): removal of old concrete, preparation of site, set forms and lay & finish concrete.
- Operates motor grader, grading unpaved streets and alleys and other relevant sites as instructed, reads grade as required to carry out duties;
- Operates backhoe, digging ditches related to storm drainage system installation, repair, and maintenance activities, reads grade as required to carry out duties;
- Operates bulldozer, moving earth from one location to another, reads grade as required to carry out duties;
- Operates multi-purpose maintenance and installation machine, performing a variety of duties, reads grade as required to carry out duties;
- Operates paving machine, controls location and thickness of asphalt being laid;
- Operates snow removal equipment to remove snow from City streets, parks and parking lots, and salts areas as needed. Shovels snow when needed.
- Performs a variety of manual labor duties at construction sites;
- Performs duties of lower classified equipment operators as required; and
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
POSITION REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
Possession of a high school diploma or GED. Considerable experience operating medium to heavy equipment or equivalent combination of experience and training. Ability to provide leadership to one or more employees of a lower classification.
Possession of a valid Commercial Driver’s License (Class A).
This position requires extensive walking, lifting, reaching, carrying, stooping, bending, squatting, climbing, balancing, and physical coordination, while performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to fumes, dust, odors and extreme weather conditions.
THE CITY OF PARKERSBURG IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE ON THE BASIS OF RACE, COLOR, NATIONAL ORIGIN, SEX, SEXUAL ORIENTATION, GENDER IDENTITY, MILITARY VETERAN STATUS, RELIGION, AGE OR DISABILITY IN EMPLOYMENT OR THE PROVISION OF SERVICES.