POSITION AVAILABLE ANNOUNCEMENT
CITY OF PARKERSBURG
Public Safety Tele-Communicator
DEPARTMENT: Police DIVISION: Civilian GRADE: H-5 Non-Exempt $12.51/hr
Reports directly to Superior Officers and the Police Chief.
JOB SUMMARY: Performs telecommunications work in the dispatching of police personnel. Receives information and complaints from citizens and disseminates the information to emergency personnel. Monitors radio, Teletype, and computer communications.
RESPONSIBILITIES, DUTIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES:
- Serves as point of contact in emergency and non-emergency situations;
- Receives, screens, and records calls from the public requesting public safety services;
- Determines the nature, location, and priority of calls;
- Dispatches and maintains radio contact with public safety personnel;
- Maintains detailed logs of all calls processed;
- Operates Teletype and national crime information center computer to check automobile registration, identify driver’s history, provide, or obtain information for police personnel;
- Communicates with police units in the field, providing them with needed information and responding to requests for additional information and/or assistance;
- Maintains a variety of records and prepare a variety of reports;
- Maintains radio log, recording and status control devices;
- Prepares and maintains the daily assignment sheet/duty roster for on-coming Shift Supervisors;
- Operates standard office equipment;
- Performs related clerical tasks, such as typing and filing;
- Maintains dispatching area; and
- Maintains confidentiality while multi-tasking and prioritizing in an emergency environment, without direct supervision;
- PPD is the designated backup for Wood County E911. Tele-communicators must be on scene 24 hours to assist with 911 backup or overflow until properly staffed;
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
POSITION REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
Possession of a high school diploma or GED supplemented by continuing education and training in relevant areas; or two (2) years combination of experience and training. Experience in telecommunications, preferably in the public sector.
Above average computer skills (Microsoft Office – Word & Excel). Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both oral and written. Above average organizational skills. Must be able to maintain confidentiality. Must be able to interact professionally with the public and other employees.
Must receive WEAPON Certification for Communication Division within one (1) year.
THE CITY OF PARKERSBURG IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE ON THE BASIS OF RACE, COLOR, NATIONAL ORIGIN, SEX, SEXUAL ORIENTATION, GENDER IDENTITY, MILITARY VETERAN STATUS, RELIGION, AGE OR DISABILITY IN EMPLOYMENT OR THE PROVISION OF SERVICES.